Epithets
My name is Patricia Ascanio-Pellon and I'm a senior studying Geology. Since I am a fairly private person, I don't really have a lot to say about my life and i'd rather talk to people through a face-to-face conversation. However, since this assignment is mandatory, I'll go ahead and give 4 epithets that help describe the kind of person I am.
Since I am a Geology major, I absolutely love rocks. I started to seriously collect rocks and minerals after my freshman year of college, and my collection is easily worth over $1000. I obtained most of my rocks either through field trips to canyons or mines or by attending rock and gem shows. My favorite rocks are metamorphic rocks. I love how it is possible to decipher their origins just by observing the type of minerals present along with their orientation. Unfortunately, metamorphic rocks are the most complex type of rock to study, so I prefer to just admire their beauty from a non-academic perspective.
Busy Bee
Ever since I was little, my parents stressed the importance of being a well-rounded person. I was raised running from school to volleyball, basketball, tennis or track practice, then to piano practice, and finally ending the day by doing hours of homework. Because of my upbringing, I have felt the need to create a busy life for myself. Even when I am on a break from school, I still manage to busy myself through sports, playing music, or doing crafting projects. I now find joy in being able to participate in a wide range of activities and its helped me better connect with others that have unique backgrounds.
This Cuban phrase is used to describe someone who is a bargain shopper and "crawls" around the store looking for the best deals. I love to shop and my love language is gift giving, but since I am a student, I can't really afford giving expensive gifts to others. This is why I frequently keep track of store sales and shop at bargain stores. I attribute my slight obsession with cheap, good quality goods to my mom. She is the one who taught me which stores I should go to, when to go shopping, and to always ask store owners for coupons.
Sweet tooth
Since I am Cuban, I love all sweet things. In all of our meals, we have something sweet, either through drinking a smoothie with our food, adding a banana to the side, or having desert after eating a hearty meal. I am trying to curb my sugar addiction by only eating naturally sweet things, but it's been hard since my boyfriend has caught onto my family's sweet addiction. Despite the large amount of sugar my family consumes, my family is very active and we have never had anyone die from a heart attack.



I have a brother who did rock collecting for a while, though he only got a few before giving up. I can relate to being reserved, busy, and looking for sales (though I usually stick to whichever store is closest and just compare brands). It's really cool to meet students from other countries. Since I got back from México, I've learned that there's a lot more to a country than just different food and that there is always something good to be gained from getting to know even just a little about another culture.
ReplyDeleteI love your rock collection! They are beautiful! And I love that your reason for loving them is so much deeper. Your store cockroach picture is hilarious. But it shows that you are a good at strategy and good at thinking ahead. I totally understand your struggle with sweets. Its so addictive and yummy and so hard to part with haha.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you were Cuban! that's so cool! I love that you have so many interests and so much depth to you! Way to follow your dreams girly! I wish I had your busy bee mentality!
ReplyDeleteHey! What a cool major— what are you planning to do once you’re graduated? Straight into the work field or onto more schooling? I also love gift giving, but I did not have such a bargain loving mom. I feel like I spend too much when I’m gift shopping but most of the year I save up haha. Hope to get to know you more through the semester!
ReplyDelete-Alyssa Scarpaci